1. Restoration theatre.
2. Versions of comedy in the 18th and 19th centuries.
3. The poetry of the Restoration Period.
4. The Neo-Classical poetics of Alexander Pope.
5. The birth of the English Novel.
6. The innovations of Richardson and Fielding.
7. Sentimental poetry: Thomas Gray and his precursors.
8. The two extremes of late-18th-century poetry: Samuel Johnson and William Cowper.
9. Fiction around the turn of the century: Sterne, Scott, and Austen.
10. The roots of Romanticism: Burns, Macpherson, Blake.
11. The first generation of Romanticism.
12. The second generation of Romanticism.
13. Women's fiction in the 19th century: Mary Shelley and the Brontë sisters.
14. Victorian fiction: Dickens and Hardy.
15. Victorian poetry with the Pre-Raphaelites.